running & cycling

Monday, July 14, 2008

May 17-18, 2008
Massanutten Mountain Trails 100

This had been my first ever 100 mile run in 2007. I was in much better shape and injury free last year. This year was a different story. Multiple overuse injuries had hampered my training and slowed me to a crawl. I wasn't about to drop out however.

The comraderie at these events draws me back as much as the runs themselves. It's always refreshing to see so many familiar faces filled with eager anticipation.

I had some foot issues but my knees were finally feeling strong. I started out at a nice pace but soon slowed due to shin splints. My lack of training invited this uncomfortable condition. I soon found myself nearly last as I entered the trail. I felt I moved fairly well on the road portion but the trail is where I excel.

The first climb coinsides with the coming of twilight. Near the top, the sun piqued my curiosity as it peeked over the distant peaks. I was a bit further along last year when it first appeared.

The first ridge is one of the highlights of the run. It's very rugged but you have fresh legs so it's easy to move quickly.

I noticed the that runners around me were ones who often flirted with cutoff times. I motored ahead but some caught me at the aid station. The first major descent allowed me to make some time on them.

The descent led to an extended road stretch. I despise flat road stretches but managed to move fairly well on it this time. Still, I was running well behind schedule, just 45 minutes ahead of the cutoff time.

The next section was one of my favorites from last year and where I made up time on all of my buddies. I moved alright, running with Leonard Martin for a good while but I had to take a few short breaks and I lost him. I made solid time heading downhill but my feet were causing a good deal of distress. Every time I landed on a rock, I had a pain in my left forefoot. This pain increased when my stride increased. I came upon a runner resting by a stream. We took off and I went ahead after a while.

I thought I was approaching the aid station but it was just a small parking area and I still had a couple of minutes to go. The cutoff time was nigh as I scooted in with 1 1/2 minutes to go. I had to be out of the aid station in five minutes' time.

I took off with Todd, the guy from the stream, and we moved very well for a while but I'd run myself out. I reduced my pace to a crawl and pretty much called it a day. David Hughes approached me as I was sitting on a log. I knew my day was about to end. He opted to try and make the next cutoff.

I lazily made the last climb after fording several streams. The trail was quite muddy as opposed to last year's dry conditions. The only wet part was the descent that was coming up. I took my time descending as well. I passed a sign pointing out where there had been a rattlesnake earlier.

I turned in my number at the aid station and filled up on food. Both Todd and David returned to the station after starting the next section. That was the section which gave me the most trouble last year. We hung out for a good long while and watched the lead runners come through for the second time. Mike Mason decided to call it a day, despite running fifth, which eased my pain a bit.

I was majorly disappointed at not having the opportunity to finish. I had foot issues and very likely would not have been able to complete the entire circuit but certainly wanted to try. The cutoff times aren't all based on 36 hours. the early ones are based on 28-30 hours. This puts undue pressure on runners to push themselves too hard early on. I'm a strong finisher and a slow starter so this weighed heavily on me. I never failed to keep moving but was unable to move fast enough.

This was the first time I'd ever been pulled from a race, and at just 39 miles. Hopefully, I'll be able to train more and get my fitness back to where it needs to be. There is no question about my endurance. I also lacked a bit of the mental focus and drive which pushed me through last year. That's something which needs to return as well.

After getting a lift back to the ranch, I ate and hung out, then went to sleep. In the early morning I got up to watch the finishers and helped keep track of those who crossed the finish line. Before I knew it, I became a volunteer and continued for next ten hours. This was extremely enjoyable and made the trip more complete.

B-Rex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home