running & cycling

Thursday, December 06, 2007

November 17, 2007
Bent Creek Gobbler 50k run

The second running of the Gobbler saw a fun run record of 21 participants. Most only did one loop last year, but it would be an even split this year. The first loop starts on a gravel road which climbs gently with some rolling hills.

I started out in first for about three seconds and then dropped back. Eventually, nearly everyone passed and I was by myself. Tammy Gray was just a bit behind and since I couldn't put more than 50 yards between us, I just waited for her and we ran most of the gravel section together.

At the aid stop, manned by Matthew Johnson, I learned I was five minutes behind the last runners. I made it a point to catch them before the next aid stop and I caught them just as we all pulled in. I ran with Mike Piercy and Curt Euler until the next hill and then took off in pursuit of others. I never caught anyone else.

The route followed the Shut-in trail from Hardtimes up to Bent Creek Gap Road. The road is all downhill so I just let gravity take over.

The second loop follows the road a bit and then takes Explorer and Pine Tree, two mountain biking favorites. Then it's around Lake Powhatan, and on to the Hardtimes Connector.

I struggled as I climbed up Wolf Branch and then Ingles Field. My body wasn't in the mood to run very fast. Ingles Field took longer than anticipated. I enjoyed Little Hickory Top and Sidehill. They have some nice downhills and then spill off onto a gravel road, which leads to the last trail, Lower Sidehill.

Lower Sidehill received a makeover and is now very bicycle friendly. It's one of the best trails in Bent Creek, alongside Ingles Field Gap and Explorer. Green's Lick is easily the best riding trail, but it's a bit dangerous for runners due to its popularity amongst bikers.

Knowing I was on the last trail was reassuring. I'd struggled throughout most of the day so a PR was not a possibility. I still got my second best time for a 50k, but was again slower than the previous year. Nine runners finished the 50k as opposed to just four last year. I have the distiction of being the last finisher two years running. My 6:30 time doesn't sound too bad but it's a relatively fast course. The total climb is about 4200 feet.

B-Rex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home