running & cycling

Friday, October 12, 2007

September 29, 2007
Great Eastern Endurance Race 100k & 50k

My body didn’t respond well last week so I was glad to be a sweep on this adventure. I would follow the last runner to make sure everybody made it to each checkpoint safely and clean up course markings along the way. I’d also close off certain trails which wouldn’t be used again in the race. On the last two stretches, I would hang chem. Lights for 100k runners.

I stayed on location Friday night along with a guy named Marty. He would be running the primary aid station and get the finish line organized. Being on site meant there was no rush in the morning but I would be sleeping in my car.

I let everybody go ahead of me and looked around for late starters. The run started on the road but quickly turned onto a singletrack trail. This trail climbed rapidly. I caught up to the last runners and warned them of my presence but I also informed them that I wasn’t enforcing cutoffs and found it acceptable to finish in twelve hours. One woman approached from behind. She had made a pit stop and then briefly got on the wrong trail. I’d already taken down some streamers and flags.

At the top of the steep climb, the trail turned and it was well marked. It took several minutes to clear off all of the trail markings. This allowed the slower runners to put some space between them and me. I was now on a ridgeline, enjoying the sunrise. Several overlooks afforded views of the area.

I took my time but still caught up again. Fortunately, there was a trail to close off which ate up some time. Getting the flags to penetrate the extremely dry dirt was quite a chore. When I made it to camp Marty, the first aid station, one guy was still there but my presence made him move a bit quicker. The next section was all trail, very enjoyable and more moderate in elevation change.

I took my time at the next aid station and then took off along the Blue Ridge Parkway. The lead runners were already coming at me, nearly 14 miles ahead at that point. I cheered them all on as I passed them. Having an extended out and back section meant that you got to see everybody else. I passed many familiar faces and chatted with a few runners. I saw Sarah Almodovar, Marc Castleberry, who had been awakened by a bear while napping on the Table Rock Run, John Straub, Dave Snipes, Bedford Boyce, and a bit later, Debbee Straub.

After a good while on the Parkway, I took a gravel road. This went on for about four miles downhill. The course then headed back up that same road for a gain of over 1500 feet. The last runner chatted with me for a while and then went on his way. I assured him that he was doing alright on time and that I wouldn’t pressure him at his current pace.

Again on trail, I cleared off course markings and closed off another trail. I headed back to camp Marty, where I met up with the 100k sweep, also named Brian. I did my fastest running of the day for the next mile. I hit the next turn around spot well before three. I didn’t want to start hanging chem lights until 4:00, so I grabbed a chair and just looked out onto the view from one the highest points on the run. I headed out at three, figuring the lights would last long enough, which they did.

I didn’t have to worry about any 50k runners since they were well ahead at that point. I passed through camp Marty again. About a mile past the station, I heard some noise to the left of the trail. It sounded like a squirrel so I didn’t pay much attention. The animal then walked onto the trail. It was a large cat! I’d never seen a bobcat or a mountain lion in the wild before. Although it was 4:30, it was difficult to make out any markings. I only saw it for a few seconds. It seemed a bit dark for a bobcat but had to have been between 30 and 35 pounds, the perfect size for an adult bobcat.

There was a steep downhill and then a nice, easy section. I made it through the downhill just fine and then ran into complications on the easy bit. I don’t fall often, but when I do, it’s typically on an easy stretch following a difficult one. I was hiking and had just started to run and I clipped a short stump. I tumbled forward, trying to stay on my feet but my momentum was too great and I hit the dirt on my hands and one knee, and then continued to roll over my hands and hit my chin on the dirt. I cursed a few times and got back on my feet.

I was running out of chem. lights and still had some trail left. I’d rationed them fairly well but ran out before the end. The trail gave way to a grassy dam crossing and then a road to the finish. The first 100k runners arrived shortly after I finished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home