running & cycling

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

July 14, 2007
Hot Doggett 100k ride

I was doing a long run the following day and the heat was stifling last year so I opted for the 100k rather than the full century. I started out a little fast but eased up for the first climb. I took it easy until the first big climb, where I eased off a bit more. I started riding with a woman from Raleigh named Teresa. This was her first mountain 100k and I wasn't about to push too hard so we rode the entire ride together.

I heard a plink in a spoke two days before the ride. I'd hoped it was just a bit loose but it was broken. One broken spoke on a rear wheel isn't too big of a deal.

I ran into another woman from my gym named Karen, who rode with us a bit. The weather was much cooler than last year's ride. It made it much easier. The climb up Devil's Fork didn't wear me out like it did last year but it still pushed me. It gets very steep and is difficult to ride even in granny gear. There was a photo op and I showed off for the camera. I did a short sprint up the steep grade and heard a pop. Another spoke broke. At the aid station, I played with the brakes a bit to get the wheel to turn. It tacoed a bit so I had to open the brakes almost all the way to allow the wheel to move. I couldn't even get half a rotation when I spun the wheel. It looked as if my ride was over.

I tested it out on the road and it pretty much worked when there was weight on it. Since I couldn't get a ride back any time soon, I opted for continuing the ride. It was a bit foreboding doing a long descent with only front brakes and a weak back wheel. I've never been much for common sense so I tossed caution to the wind and hunkered down the mountain. Surprisingly, I had no problems so I kept on going.

Sam's Gap is a nice five mile climb in the heat of the day. I didn't ride it quickly but I had plenty of energy at the top. The following descent was a bit treacherous without full brakes and a wobbly wheel. I made it through and finished the ride. It took 5:54, which is very slow for a 100k but I took it easy and just enjoyed myself, leaving a bit for the next day's adventure.

Raging Bull

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home