running & cycling

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

April 21, 2007
Crowders Mountain 50k

It was a warm start to a hot day. I felt strong, even with coming off a very long run from last week. This would be my first repeat ultra. I wanted to see improvement over last year's performance. I knew that was unlikely, considering what I'd put my body through last week.

We started up a gravel road. leading to the top of Crowders Mountain. It gets steep about a mile in and again at the top. The view is outstanding and contains the entire Charlotte skyline. I walked a good portion of the climb but got moving well heading down the mountain. The descent starts with about 300 steps, followed by a steep gravel descent and then hits rocky, rooty singletrack. About four miles in, I saw Byron Backer heading my way. He was already two miles ahead. He was followed by Annette Bednosky. Mohammed Idlibi and Greg Paige weren't far behind.

I felt strong at the turn around and headed back to the start. The singletrack went well and I cruised up the steps. The descent that was so easy last year was a good deal tougher with spent quads. I made it to the ten mile point in under two hours but I knew I'd slow down on the second circuit.

The second lap went better than expected but it still took 2:20. I ran consistently and performed well on the steps again. The heat was starting to take its toll and my body was ready to stop at twenty miles. I didn't have enough sense to listen to my body so I headed out for the third lap.

I felt fine but had no real power. I did more walking and the heat bothered me more and more. I was glad that I handled the steps much better than I did last year. As for the rest of the course, I didn't handle it as well. It took just over three hours to complete the third lap. My time was 7:26, up significantly from 6:37 last year. This was more of a test of endurance for me in preparation for Massanutten. Annette ran away with the race, winning by over 20 minutes.

Raging Bull

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home