running & cycling

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

January 20, 2007
Shut-in/Mountains-to-Sea Run

Saturday morning was quite cold. This always presents a dilemma. We'd be climbing into higher altitudes but during the climb much warmth would be created. So, how many layers are enough? Since this was an out and back run, extra clothing could be ditched and retrieved on the return.

Sarah Almodovar had organized the run. Her original intent was to do a double Shut-in. She had run the upper half the previous week and the weather would be a bit sketchy so the run was modified to the lower half of Shut-in and the Mountains-to-Sea trail on the other side of the French Broad river. Since I'd recently run a double Shut-in, I certainly understood not wanting to run the same section two weeks in a row. This would be my first excursion on the trail since early November. It beat me up a good bit and I had no desire to conquer it again for some time.

Two guys came down from Boone to join us. Doug was a veteran runner who I met during a bicycle ride in the high country, and who had run the Shut-in race four times before. Dennis is a newby to this trail. I stayed with everyone until the first big climb, a whole 1/4 mile into the run. From there I was on my own until I met them on their return.

I was not loving the trail this day. I simply couldn't run as much of it as I'd wanted. Some days it just doesn't click. I'm used to this and when this happens, I just take it easy and take in more of the scenery. Long, slow distance is an important part of training and I'd get in my share of the slow distance.

The turn around point was at nine miles. I met the others at about 8 1/2 miles and turned back when I saw them. I then led the group for a while until I ran myself to exhaustion. They went ahead and I was on my own again. I don't mind getting behind but I don't like it when people have to wait an extended period of time for me. As I approached a steep hill, I made the decision to skip it and follow the Parkway for a mile or so. I thought this would close the gap and maybe I would actually catch someone by doing this but the plan backfired. I got around the hill climb but I actually added some distance.

Passing some hikers, I inquired how far ahead they were and they said about three or four minutes so I was pleased. I made it to the parking lot and loaded up food for the next out and back leg.

Crossing the bridge over the river, we were greeted by Adam Hill and his group home kids. He was taking them on a hike and brought us a bounty of sustenance in the form of bagels and pastries. We chatted a bit and went on our way. I stayed with them for a good while. After crossing the highway, there was a short, steep downhill where I hammered down and went way out in front. The downhill was also my downfall. I was exhausted after it and I fell far behind.

I just took it easy again from that point. I passed the tree where I surprised a bear on the Pitchell run. I was even closer to it than I'd remembered. Hendersonville road seemed like a good place to turn around so I wouldn't be caught lagging behind for the rest of the run. Sarah, Doug and Dennis went to Sweeten Creek road and turned back. They would run 30 1/2 miles while I would run about 27. My body was very worn down from training and I was nursing an ankle sprain from last week so 27 was more than I expected to cover.

I managed to stay ahead until the last mile. We made it back to the cars and decided to partake in the obligatory postrun burrito. The Lucky Otter was the spot this time. Local brew, a couple of margaritas and burritos rounded out our day.

Raging Bull

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home