running & cycling

Friday, January 05, 2007

January 1, 2007
Smokies Big Creek Adventure Run

The rains came for two days before the run. Normally, this wouldn't matter but the course included fords, one of them through Big Creek. We should have been singing tunes from "The Sound of Music". We would climb every mountain and ford every stream. This was another of Adam Hill's fun/adventure runs, with the emphasis on adventure.

We started up the Baxter Creek trail. I do mean up, as the trail climbs 4,000 feet over 6.2 miles. I couldn't keep up with the others. Eventually, Matt Kirk took pity on me and dropped back. Near the top, the clouds broke but it was quite dark as we we found ourselves in the midst of a dense, lush spruce forest. The sun's rays peaked through the trees like spotlights on a stage.

We all met up at the Mt. Sterling fire tower. It was a harrowing climb to the top but well worth it for the crystal clear views. Of course we had to pose for the obligatory picture.

The descent from Mt. Sterling was rocky with tricky footing. This is the one area where I excel. I rumbled by everyone and garnered a new nickname. I was dubbed "Beduhn-a-saurus Rex" for my aggressive downhill style. If only I could be that aggressive on the uphills.

The downhill didn't last forever and soon I again found myself at the back of the pack. I thought I saw a little green creature with a cane. I couldn't understand the cane when he was such a badass jedi. We were running through Dagobah on the top of a 5,000 foot mountain. The rains filled the horse beaten trail. Lush vegetation surrounded either side and an X-wing fighter hovered nearby.

A trail junction brought us together again. But soon I dropped back yet again. I tried to keep up with Sarah Almodovar and Mohammed Idlibi, but my effort was in vain. They slowly crept out of site and I was alone. This got frustrating, thinking I was holding everybody up. The trail grew wetter and wetter and I was trying to keep my feet dry until we came upon the fords. I forgot to bring my light and grew concerned over whether I'd make it through by nightfall. This apprehension was illfound and it quickly went away when I met up with the group again, as they were partaking in some nappage in the sun.

I was imbued with a newfound energy and led the pack to the next junction. This bit had some tricky footing and I ran well over the rooty, rocky terrain. A sign with bold, red letters greeted us-"Do not use Gunter Fork in times of high water". We took a picture of it and promptly ignored the warning. This was, after all, an adventure run.

Gunter Fork trail descends rapidly and is a bit off camber. Maintaining the proper balance of speed and agility presents quite a challenge. We all cruised the downhill at a rapid pace. Mohammed almost slid off the mountain but maintained his balance. The trail started to level out a bit after two miles and we were greeted with a wonder of nature.

Before us was quite a sight to behold! An enormous waterfall spilled over 150 foot rock face in front of us. To the left was a 50 foot waterfall. We had to ford our first stream. The water was cold but it didn't take long to get across. This was followed immediately by another ford. We stopped a while to admire the cascade.

The trail leveled out a bit and we really got to know Gunter Fork. We crossed again and again and the crossings grew wider. There were more fords than a used car dealership. We drove a chevy to the levy but the levy was flooded. The last crossing of the fork was quite difficult. The current was strong and the whitewater prevented sight to the bottom. I barely made it without tumbling. We'll call this one "Mustang".

Finally, the last ford was upon us. We'll call this one "Thunderbird". A human chain stretched part way across it. Adam was anchored in the middle helping everyone else across. Carl Laniak retreated to help out as well. The current was considerably stronger than the last one. This was Big Creek, with easily twice as much water as Gunter Fork. I opted out of the human chain and went upstream a bit to avoid the current. Still waters run deep and it got up to my waist but the footing was solid and I kept my upper body dry.

From there, it was all pretty level. We followed the river but the next two crossings had bridges. I sang off pitch to entertain myself as everyone had run ahead again. I'd heard about Midnight Hole and how it was a must to swim there. It was January 1st, but I knew that wouldn't stop Adam, Matt and Carl from swimming. I'd had enough water already. Mohammed also got in on the action. Sarah, Steve and I had enough sense to opt out. There's even a video of those nuts jumping off an eight foot high rock into the frigid stream.

The trail from Midnight Hole to the finish was fast and furious. We all had a blast despite spending so much time in the water.

What run is complete without a fine meal of pizza? Most of us headed out to Asheville Pizza and Brewing and chowed down on some mondo sized delish za's. That was a fine way to spend New Year's Day. It wasn't quite an ultra but the 23 miles certainly felt like it.

Raging Bull

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home