running & cycling

Saturday, September 16, 2006

August 27, 2006
Hilly Hellacious Hundred

Perfect weather for a perfect ride greeted us at the beginning of the Hilly Hellacious Hundred. This is a ride where I really like to push myself. It's extremely challenging and relentless with climbing. All you get is a brief warmup period and then you're hit with one of the most challenging climbs around--Bearwallow Mountain.

The climb starts out with a moderate climb, slowly increasing in grade and then you get hit with a beyond category climb. It peaked at around 18% and at the top had a sustained 12%. Some riders simply gave up trying to pedal and opted for the walking option. Others stood up and used all the weight they could to plow through it. I just kept spinning in easy gear and made it much more easily than last year. I actually had a burst of energy at the top of the steep grade and did a moderate sprint. The hill continued for more than I remembered it so I was regretting the mini sprint.

Descents used to scare the piss out of me. I just started using the aero position. On a 200 pound rider, the aero position means an extreme amount of speed. I don't use it unless it's during a relatively straight stretch. For the first time ever, I was stymied on a downhill because the other riders were riding too cautiously. I guess I've overcome my fear and become a bit of a speed demon at last. Barreling down a mountainside at 40 miles an hour now seems natural.

Apple country is a bit flatter with small rolling hills and one fairly long climb. I always remember the two toughest climbs of any ride but the others tend to fade into the back of my mind. The hill wasn't steep but carried on for about two miles. They take your picture at the top. They never take it on the flats. That just wouldn't be prudent.

The descent to Bat Cave-Chimney Rock-Lake Lure is fast as well but has a couple of hairpin turns. I still take it easy on these. Route 64 winds gently so I passed many riders on this section. The 100k turns left and the 100 miler turns right at Bat Cave. Yes, there really is a bat cave. It just recently opened to the public but only on select days. It's the largest granite fissure cave in North America.

Lake Lure has been named one of the top five lakes in America. Summer tends to be a bit hazy in the mountains but the views were unobstructed as it was a clear day. Rocky cliffs jut up around Lake Lure, setting up a backdrop that rivals the lakes of Italy and Switzerland. It's tempting to stop and soak up the views for an extended period of time.

After crossing the dam, I had the unusual situation of being slowed down by an automobile. Cyclists rarely pass cars on the open road but many of us were forced to pass. The driver obviously had no experience driving curvy mountain roads and was being overly cautious.

My mind was now concerned with the long climb up to route 9. There were some other climbs between myself and the big one but I was fixated on that one. The heat started kicking in at around 85 degrees. The sun was beating down and that always takes its toll on me. The moderate climbs leading up to the big one were taking their toll as well.

The big climb was upon me. I dropped to granny gear and plugged away. At least a dozen riders passed on the lower section. Fatigue had set in. I struggled until the entrance of the gated community. The slope became less demanding and then I started to improve on speed. A couple of level sections allowed recovery time and the last half mile actually seemed pretty easy. I passed several riders in that stretch and did not see them for the rest of the ride.

The coming miles were to be solitary ones. Some of the steepest climbs were saved for the end of the ride. Steep rolling hills were omnipresent. Unfortunately, momentum was not enough to propel me half way up those hills.

The heat and constant climbing wore me down but I still made it through, setting a personal best. My goal was 7 hours and a came in at 7:05, 25 minutes better than the last two years. The Hilly Hellacious only climbs 8,000 feet but is actually more difficult than the Blue Ridge Brutal, which climbs over 12,000 feet.

Raging Bull

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home