running & cycling

Thursday, October 04, 2007

August 18, 2007
Blue Ridge Brutal

I was invited up to West Jefferson to stay with a friend the night before the ride. I stayed with Annette Bednosky and her husband George. We had a fantastic time talking about running and enjoying a fantastic home cooked meal. I even got to watch a tape of the Western States 100 mile run, which focused on the Montrail team, of which Annette is a part.

I met Annette on this ride last year and have done many a run with her since. I’d planned on riding with her for much of the course but that didn’t work out so well. George went ahead and I tried to stay with my friend Bridgette, but she left me in the dust. Annette caught me but I couldn’t stay at her pace either. I could tell this would be a very long day.

My legs were far from recovered from the previous two weeks’ runs. When I told my thighs to push they just let out a feeble whimper and went back to lazing around. The struggle with my weary legs continued throughout the day. As I was riding along, I heard a clink. I’d broken a spoke. I was a bit upset, knowing that I’d likely break another one on the very difficult climb up Buffalo Mountain. I wasn’t really sure if I’d even be able to make it up that climb without any mechanical issues.

My stress was relieved when the decision was made to drop to the 70 mile option. I never like to give in but it was the right choice, considering the state of my body and of my wheel. This meant some waiting around and missing out on the Assault on Mt. Jefferson at the end of the ride. Bridgette and Annette both did the Assault. Next year, I’ll get in more miles on the bike to balance things out between running and riding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home