running & cycling

Monday, December 22, 2008

November 1, 2008
Shut-in Ridge Trail Race

I kept my goal reasonable this year. The primary goal was just to finish under the cutoff. 4 1/2 hours would be nice but didn't much matter to me. I was feeling recovered from a year of overtraining and two nagging injuries.

I started out very slowly, managing to stay ahead of just several runners over the first few miles. Slowly, I passed several more. I experienced long periods without seeing anyone else. I climbed slowly and trotted the levels. I made it to the halfway point to be greeted by Adam and Suzanne Hill. She was the second half sweep.

I continued to plod along, thinking 4 1/2 could be a reality. The last two miles quickly turn that perceived reality over on itself. These last two are legendary in their difficulty, but are easier if you've taken it easy to that point. After giving all you have for 16 miles, the final push turns many runners into whimpering blobs, barely able to put one foot in front of the other.

I made it off the trail under 5 hours, but just by 11 minutes. Three straight finishes despite severely lagging times. Adam paced the final two and we all went out to Papas and Beer for a fine Mexican dinner.

B-Rex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home